Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Two Peas in a Pod

    “What’s the worst possible thing you can call a woman? Don’t hold back, now. You’re probably thinking of words like slut, whore, bitch, cunt (I told you not to hold back!), skank.Okay, now, what are the worst things you can call a guy? Fag, girl, bitch, pussy. I’ve even heard the term “mangina.”Notice anything? The worst thing you can call a girl is a girl. The worst thing you can call a guy is a girl. Being a woman is the ultimate insult. Now tell me that’s not royally fucked up.” Jessica Valenti
 Feminism
      I am proudly to say that I am a feminist and strongly believer for equality of sexes. I am lucky and blessed to say that I was raised in a house that is completely against sexism.  However, my family is only a pebble in this society; this disgraceful world.   What is “feminism”? Feminism is a belief that males and females should both have equal rights. We are living now in 21st century, yet people still have to fight for their complete rights. We are still living in such a naïve world. I have never understood why women are a minority. I mean I know that women do not share the same power, privileges, rights, and opportunities as men which clearly explain why they are a minority. Stunningly, I STILL do not understand why women are a minority?! Another point, why are women seen as “weak creatures”? I truly believe that women and men are physically strong in different ways. Yes, boys are born with more muscle mass.  But, if a woman wants to work out with all her determination in order to build muscles, she could easily. However, are human rights related to muscles? Then, tell me, why are women a minority? Let me move to an important question that I have heard a lot, is feminism against men? ABSOLOUTELY NO. Actually, feminism believes that men are actually also oppressed in this stereotypical world.  Men are believed to be stiff and emotionless, yet how could a man be human if he lacks feelings? Men get taunted when they are seen crying or complaining. Is that fair for them? Of course it isn’t; I mean it isn’t their fault that they are born mere humans. Both, men and women, are mere humans that deserve to be on the same symmetrical level.  Both men and women should be free to be whatever they want to be!
Meninism
     I guess being a meninist is such a trendsetting nowadays. I was shocked to know that meninism is formed in order to ridicule feminism. Now, I can’t really blame meninists because they all seem so stagnant; they are too lazy to educate themselves about what feminism really is. Wait, I can’t really blame those ingenuous men because they have misconstrued the whole issue due to some uneducated women. Those men misjudged feminism because some women started hating men so much.  Some women actually believed that feminism means that females should rule the world or something similar to that.  I find that really funny because feminism is a noble issue that is against sexism not against men. It is not only concerned about females, yet it is also concerned about males. A piece of advice to meninists, instead of  wasting you energy arguing with feminists, you should fight for trans men, gay men, male victims of rape,  and more essential issues.
Conclusion
    As Chimamanda once said “The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn’t have the weight of gender expectations.” Feminism and meninism are great and amazing beliefs that should be taken seriously, for they both fight for the same issue. Unfortunately, some advocates of both groups are harassing each other due to their misjudgments and misunderstandings.  To sum it all, meninists and feminists should unite together to make their voices louder in order to make an effective difference. 

No comments:

Post a Comment